• 14 Oct 2025 1:00PM (AEDT). The forums will be closing at 1:15pm (AEDT) for routine maintenance. We expect the site will be unavailable for about 10 minutes. Can you please logout of the system. Apologies for any inconvience.

Amex unexpectedly imposed a credit limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
My last 4 reactions have been 😯. Loving hearing all these things that have happened to other people and how they have dealt with them.
 
I double paid 1040 on a reserve card with a 3k limit( from when I was wanting a home loan and the bank made me change my limits) but I have the plat metal( they didnt like that at all and wanted me to cancel it I said no so no home loan)
nothing has been mentioned. on teh excess payment , its still in over credit as I dont use the card often.
 
Last edited:
I’ve found banks ignore charge cards but some do still have a look at how much you’re putting through so best to tone down spending on a charge card in the months before a home loan application.

Some lenders assume a $10k credit limit which isn’t as generous as nil but still pretty generous given where a charge card with some spend history can be run up to.
 
Im an older person and though they say no discrimination,
there certainly is!
every bank I went to wanted me to take my Citibank from 25k to 3k( I said no 15k thankyou)
and 3 x amex from 15k to 3k and wanted me to cancel the plat charge
I said no
so they cut borrowing form 400k to 200k
I said no thankyou I didnt really want the loan except as a buffer as an older person.
but now im stuck with lower limits forever.
so now I really am stuck with paying 1450 a year for plat charge.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Become an AFF member!

Join Australian Frequent Flyer (AFF) for free and unlock insider tips, exclusive deals, and global meetups with 65,000+ frequent flyers.

AFF members can also access our Frequent Flyer Training courses, and upgrade to Fast-track your way to expert traveller status and unlock even more exclusive discounts!

AFF forum abbreviations

Wondering about Y, J or any of the other abbreviations used on our forum?

Check out our guide to common AFF acronyms & abbreviations.

Currently Active Users

No members online now.
Back
Top