Hi all
My parents are travelling to Europe then North America and back to Australia in economy, all on Star Alliance airlines (Thai Airways, Lufthansa, Air Canada and Air NZ). I'm trying to get a copy of their itinerary so I can see the exact fare booking classes. No legs in Greece unfortunately!
I'm trying to figure out what airline program they should credit their travel to, to give them the best status outcome for Australian domestic travel. I'm ok with taking a bit of a hit in terms of points accrued if it delivers a good status outcome. At the moment they do much more domestic travel than international. They have previously been Gold with Velocity until COVID happened and then family moved within driving distance for a while and we all flew a lot less. Now family have moved again and they will fly domestically a lot more.
They're late organisers so it's too late to get them the HSBC credit card before they fly but they could apply when they get back...
They don't travel internationally regularly. They may go to Singapore later this year.
Their home airport is Kingsford Smith.
Is there any star alliance airline that has a family pooling option for status like Velocity?
I am most accustomed to the Velocity/Qantas status credit model, and all the star alliance airlines seem to operate on an elite miles model based on percentages - is there a calculator or tool I can use which will help me know what I would accrue in different programs if I provide the route, carrier and fare class? I know there is Where to Credit but I don't really understand what the table is telling me - is it showing me info in points as we would call them in VFF or status credits as we would call them? It says miles but clearly I'm lost.
It seems Air Canada Aeroplan is a lot more popular now than it was 5 years ago (when I stopped paying attention)? But I am reading conflicting things about whether Aeroplan elite members enjoy benefits like lounge access when flying VA in Australia which is pretty key. Maybe the stuff saying that is out of date?
I was tossing up between telling them to credit to Krisflyer or Aeroplan.
Any advice appreciated.
I will also read the article linked above but am finding it a bit overwhelming.